- Know where in the workplace others are and communicate with them: use radios, mirrors, cameras, headlights, strobe warning lights, horns, and buggy-whip flags. Stay clear of mobile equipment blind spots.
- Set mobile equipment parking brakes and chock the wheels when vehicles are unattended: Don’t stand, walk or work directly downhill of parked vehicles. Stay clear of moving vehicles.
- Establish safe traffic patterns and rules: post signage, ensure rules are followed, adhere to speed limits and approach intersections with caution.
- Use proximity detection/collision avoidance systems.
- Ensure that seat belts are maintained in good condition and worn at all times.
- Ensure that conveyors are deenergised, locked, tagged and blocked against motion before removing guards or beginning work.