The MSHA says the miner was wearing a fall protection harness but his lanyard was not attached to a secure anchorage.
This is the 15th fatality reported in 2020 and the fourth classified as ‘slip or fall of person’, the administration adds.
• Encourage the use of automated hatches on tanks and trailers.
• Provide and ensure the use of an effective fall arrest and secure anchorage system.
• Provide safe access to all work areas and ensure truck and trailer access and work platforms are properly designed, maintained, and used.
• Examine work areas and equipment. Don’t use unsafe work areas and equipment until repairs are made.
• Refresh miner training on safe work procedures after returning from periods of shutdown, and routinely monitor work habits.