BDS: GB ready-mixed concrete market just over 21 million m³ a year

The British ready-mixed concrete market is estimated to have reached 21 million m³ a year in 2020, according to a new report by independent market research consultancy BDS.
Quarry Products / December 16, 2021
By Guy Woodford
A new BDS report estimates the UK ready-mixed concrete market to be at 21 million m3 a year. Pic: Nejat Carkaci/Dreamstime.com

The headline figure is taken from BDS’s Estimated Outputs of Ready-mix concrete companies in Great Britain report, offering in-depth insight into the UK’s ready-mixed concrete industry. The latest version of the report, published annually for over 25 years, provides estimates of outputs and market shares by individual ready-mixed concrete plants and companies in 2020.

Of the just over 21 million m³ of ready-mixed concrete estimated by BDS to have been produced in Britain in 2020, 88.5% was from batching plants, with the remaining 11.5% attributed to the on-site batched sector.

A total of 1,360 ready-mixed concrete plants in the UK were identified in the report, with most plants located in England.

The latest BDS report confirms Breedon as the largest producer of ready-mixed concrete in Great Britain. In 2020, the British ready-mixed concrete market was dominated by five producers – Breedon, Tarmac, Hanson, CEMEX, and Aggregates Industries - who between them accounted for 57% of the total market.

The report is one of a suite of output focused reports produced by BDS. Others include:

• Estimated Outputs of Pits & Quarries and Marine Wharves in Great Britain (2020)

• Estimated Outputs of Asphalt Plants in Great Britain (2020)

• Estimated Movements of Aggregates from Rail Depots in Great Britain (2020)

To find out more about the Estimated Outputs of Ready-mix concrete companies in Great Britain report or to purchase a copy, email contact@bdsmarketing.co.uk

For more information on companies in this article