- Theta Aggregates is the first 'EPD on Demand' tool tailored specifically for North American aggregate producers.
- WAP Sustainability worked closely with NSSGA to provide LCA and EPD expertise during the Product Category Rules (PCR) update process while, in turn, learning from NSSGA and its members the specific needs of the aggregates industry.
- Joining the rapidly growing Theta EPD software family, Theta Aggregate builds on WAP's expertise in LCA and EPD generation for concrete, asphalt, cement, slag, concrete pipe, and other industries.
- Theta Aggregate EPDs can be used as standalone Environmental Product Declarations for aggregates or as upstream inputs into Theta Concrete, the Emerald Eco-Label asphalt EPD tool, or other LCAs and EPDs for building products.
- Theta Aggregate is part of Theta EPD, the Buy Clean Compliance Software, which is continually maintained to help producers meet new green procurement initiatives like the GSA's ongoing pilot for the Buy Clean Inflation Reduction Act Requirements for low embodied carbon construction materials.
"This is an exciting development for our member companies," says Michele Stanley, Vice President of Government & Regulatory Affairs at NSSGA. "Theta Aggregate offers an industry-specific, simplified way to demonstrate requirements necessary within many states and on certain federal projects. We have anxiously awaited the time to come when we can provide a tool like this for our members, and it's here!"
NSSGA is the voice for the aggregates industry in Washington. Its members consist of stone, sand and gravel producers, industrial sand suppliers, and the equipment manufacturers and service providers who support them. With upwards of 9,000 locations, the aggregates industry produces 2.5 billion tons of materials used annually in the United States. Aggregates are the building blocks of our modern society and are needed to construct and maintain roads, railways, bridges, tunnels, water supply, sewers, electrical grids and telecommunications.
"Theta Aggregate is a huge improvement in ease of EPD creation for construction aggregates," says Lianna Miller, Sustainability Manager at WAP and lead on the LCA for aggregate products. "It's been a real pleasure working with the aggregate industry to tailor Theta Aggregate to meet their needs while ensuring the tool complies with Buy Clean and other green procurement initiatives."
WAP Sustainability, founded in 2008, is a global consultancy with a proven history of providing service-oriented product sustainability services for brands, manufacturers, and producers. Recognised as #1698 on the 2023 Inc. 5000 List, WAP Sustainability has quickly become one of the world's leading life cycle assessment (LCA) services firms, with an industry-leading market share in developing environmental product declarations (EPDs).
As the construction sector requests more transparent documentation on the life cycle impacts of products, the Theta family of EPD tools helps manufacturers measure, report, and disclose the environmental impacts of their products accurately and efficiently. In doing so, manufacturers can differentiate themselves in a carbon-aware marketplace while accessing federal and competitive funding sources for future construction products.